WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressmen Randy Forbes (VA-04) and Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S. (AZ-04) released the following statements after introducing H.R. 4856, legislation which would make aliens associated with a criminal gang inadmissible, deportable, and ineligible for immigration benefits:
“Year after year, we continue to hear stories of criminal gang members committing heinous crimes here in our country,” said Forbes, who serves as a senior Member of the House Judiciary Committee. “This Administration continues to claim that gang members and felons are their priority for removal, yet not only has the Administration allowed gang members to enter the country, it is also releasing criminal aliens convicted of violent crimes back into our communities. I have long championed legislation to deport any alien in our nation who is a member of a violent criminal gang, and I urge Congress to act immediately to end the abuse of our immigration system, ensure criminals that are already here in the U.S. are brought to justice, and prevent future alien gang members from ever reaching our communities.”
“The Obama Administration has failed to secure our border and has created an immigration crisis that continues to put our citizens at risk,” Gosar said. “Shockingly, this Administration has given amnesty to gang members and violent criminal aliens, only to see these illegal immigrants return to our communities and murder American citizens. Rep. Forbes has done excellent work over the years to bring forth commonsense solutions for combatting these challenges. I am honored to be teaming up with him again today to put forth legislation that will improve public safety by allowing for the expedited removal of the most dangerous criminals and gang members.”
· The full text of H.R. 4856 can be found HERE.
· This legislation is endorsed by NumbersUSA and Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR)
· This bill is a companion to S.1120, legislation introduced by Senators Chuck Grassley, Thom Tillis, and Richard Burr. The Senate version came about in response to the killing of four individuals in Charlotte, North Carolina in February 2015. Jesus Rangel-Hernandez, a known gang member, was granted deferred action under President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) executive action. According to an April 23, 2015 article by Townhall, “Hernandez was scheduled for deportation, applied for DACA, was approved and was able to stay.” This request was approved on August 26, 2013, 18 months before the murders were committed.
· Two other Americans, Kate Steinle of San Francisco and Grant Ronnebeck of Arizona, were both allegedly murdered by criminal illegal aliens who were released from jail.
· While the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen’s injunction to stop President Obama’s unconstitutional expansion of DACA and creation of DAPA, this legislation is still extremely necessary as the Obama Administration fails to fully secure our border from criminal aliens.
· Just last week, a Salvadoran alien “wanted for a triple murder and attempted murder in his home country” was deported from South Texas. The Washington Times also recently reported that Central American children are prime recruits for joining notoriously violent criminal gangs, including MS-13 gang. The gang is responsible for “at least eight homicides in Virginia and Maryland over the past year.”
· Current Cosponsors of this legislation include: Brian Babin, Mo Brooks, Ken Calvert, Paul Cook, Scott DesJarlais, Jeff Duncan, John Duncan, Blake Farenthold, Trent Franks, Morgan Griffith, Jody Hice, Tim Huelskamp, Walter B. Jones, Steve King, Pete Olson, Ted Poe, Mike Rogers, David Schweikert, Pete Sessions, and Randy Weber.
# # #