Home > constituentservices > Passport Alert

Passport Alert


Spring Break Travelers:


I am frequently contacted by constituents who have made travel plans and suddenly realize they may need passports or updates to their passport information following a marriage or name change.  They may need a certified birth certificate from a U.S. Territory or State.  Some individuals need to obtain Certificates of Citizenship from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.  I urge all potential international travelers to review their passports now and ensure they are still valid.  I encourage every American to have on hand a certified copy of their proof of U.S. Citizenship which can include a Certificate of Citizenship, a Naturalization Document, a Certificate of Birth Abroad or a State Issued Birth Certificate.


As of January 31, 2008, Travelers to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda by land or sea must now have either a WHTI compliant document or a government issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, PLUS proof of citizenship.  No longer can you drive or sail back from these countries with just a Government issued I.D. 


Please go to the following website for more detailed information about your Spring Break Travel.



Updated Processing Times

According to the U.S. Department of State, as of September 7, 2007, it is taking 6-8 weeks for the State Department to process your passport application. Allow additional time for mailing and delivery. Expedited service, which requires additional fees, is currently taking no more than 3 weeks to process. Allow additional time for mailing and delivery.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to have to apply for a passport?
You need to fill out a passport application form and provide a number of documents to prove your citizenship and identity. For detailed instructions on how to apply for a passport and what documents are needed, please click here.

What if I'm a US citizen but I do not have a state certified birth certificate on hand?
If you have allowed yourself ample time, you will be able to request a birth certificate and move forward with your passport application. The process for requesting a birth certificate differs from state to state. Please click here learn how to request a birth certificate from the state in which you were born.

How to I obtain other United States citizenship documents if I was not born in the United States?
Use the chart below to determine where you can request documents needed to apply for a passport.


Obtainable from the following agency:

Website Link


U.S. Birth Certificate


U.S. State or Territory’s Official Archive





Certificate of Citizenship





Certificate of Birth Abroad


U.S. State Dept.’s Passport Office’s Archive

www.travel.state.gov -- Use the search box and follow links to: Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad


Naturalization Document





How can I find out the status of my passport application?
Travelers who have applied for passports should monitor the status of the application online at http://travel.state.gov/passport. You may track the progress of your applications within 10 days or so of applying. The online status check will verify that the application is in process, and will be updated to confirm that the completed passport has been mailed.

What if I haven't received my passport yet and my trip is coming up soon?
If you are within two weeks of travel and the website does not show that the passport is completed, you should call the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at 1-877-487-2778 for information and assistance in arranging to have your passport ready for your trip.


  For answers to other passport questions, please visit the US State Department's passport website http://travel.state.gov/passport/.

Contact and Connect with Randy Forbes

stay connected

connect on instagram

Connect on Instagram
Follow Randy Forbes on Twitter